Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Who knew vinyl tiles could make me so happy? :)

A few months ago we had a not-so-great surprise under our kitchen sink. Unknown to us, our garbage disposal had a huge crack in it and was leaking water for a long a time. I finally noticed what was going on when I went to pull out the cleaning bucket to reorganize it. The bottom of the bucket was wet and grimy. When I looked into the cabinet, I noticed some ugly water damage.  We replaced the garbage disposal but I have always been so bummed about the water damage left behind.
This is what we were left with (after it has been cleaned, bleached, and dried out for quite some time):


Yucky Water Damage

I saw a great idea on HGTV. I bought a few vinyl tiles at Home Depot and lined the bottom of the cabinet. They were easy to cut (score then snap apart) then firmly press to the cabinet. In the end, it not only hides the ugly water damage, but it also provides the cabinet with a waterproof lining (and it looks nice).

Peel and Stick Vinyl Tiles



20 minutes later....DONE!

In all, it was a $6 fix! Love it!

What water damage?!
I gave the extra tiles I bought to a friend. This was the photo she sent me from her phone! YAY! I am not the only one that loves these things :) 
Nice job, Amanda! 

3 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! Our pipes were not glued properly and leaked. I put shelf liner but this is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I don't cringe now when someone goes to throw something away or grab the spray cleaner. :) I now have a fancy floor in that cabinet. There is also some neat stick-on wood panels that would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea!!! I was wondering about doing that to the shelves where I store my pots. They liner is always moving and coming up...it's so frustrating! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete